Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Tuesday February 23rd (Day 13)

Readings

"Practice what you preach." I believe this to not only be the message of these readings but the underlying message at the root of Christianity. I am using Gandhi right now in my classes for content. This is the first time I have ever used his speeches and I am working alongside the social studies teachers who are teaching the kiddos about India at the moment. I have to admit I am having a lot of fun. The kids are absolutely blown away by his message and they can't believe that he actually practiced what he preached. Unfortunately I don't believe a lot of leaders in today society have the kind of courage and tenacity of Gandhi. I do however feel that Pope Francis is attempting to model just that and I believe that is why people love and admire him. Catholics and Non-Catholics alike. I also believe that is why people dislike him and look to find reasons to distrust him and the Church. I think we have to constantly model kindness, love, generosity, acceptance, and positivity. I know I am ahead of the curve than most of my peers only because I had such incredible exemplars growing up. I am forever amazed at how much love mom and dad poor into their medical practice, how medicne is a calling and vocation rather than a paycheck and how the paycheck comes in many forms other than money for the sake of the patients needs. The community is lucky to have this kind of example to follow and I don't think I am the only one to notice!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure where to begin with these readings, except "Thank you!"

    I was struck by your reference to Gandhi in teaching your kiddos -- I referenced him in our Extended Dialogue on Sunday morning on the Weekend. I was also taken by the line that we are all brothers in the Gospel and the line in the first reading "But if you refuse and resist, the sword shall consume you:"

    I saw a new patient in the office the other day. They had recently moved to Casper. They had been putting off coming in to see us because she and her husband had left the Catholic church. Their daughter is Gay and they had had several conversations with Catholic hierarchy that had been unsettling. I believe the patient is not totally comfortable with this decision because she asked if we could go to dinner next week as a 4-some -- wonderful!

    We are all brothers (and sisters), we are all God's children, unique and diverse and He loves us all. Change happens from within and it happens unfortunately ever so slowly. Sometimes all we can do is pray and lead by example of love and acceptance. Gandhi did not leave India, he stayed and he prayed. He did not use the sword, he was a man of peace. This is not the same as being silent, but it is not behavior that is harsh, threatening, in-your-face, it is staying, peaceful, prayerful and powerful. There is no greater weapon of change. MOM



    ReplyDelete