Sunday, February 14, 2016

Sunday, February 14th (Day 4)

Readings
DT 26: 4-10
PS 91
ROM 10: 8-13
LK 4: 1-13

I find that my mind is in a couple different places today. While reflecting on the first reading I found myself stewing on the emotions of gratitude and love that were shared not only yesterday for Addy's birthday party, but throughout this entire year. Mike and I have been so humbled by the movement of the spirit through the community and are tickled by the amount of affection and love that has been bestowed upon Addy and us. We were talking last night after she had gone to bed and we were reflecting on the year, especially this time last year as we were nearing her due date. We both agreed that in the days leading up to her birth there was this strong sense of anxiety and anticipation, mixed with excitement and fear. We felt like we were diving into the unknown; unsure of what this journey would look like and how we would get through it. To do this day I am amazed at how willing people are to offer their help but also how quickly and easily people fall in love with Addelyn and with our family. Admittedly there have been times throughout the year when I have felt completely and utterly alone, in the dark and helpless, the majority of the time I have felt supported and surrounded by love.

When I was reading the second reading and the Gospel I found myself thinking about the political future of this country. There is so much of Bernie Sander's words and vision for this country that I find comforting and desirable, but I also can't help but feel a little hopeless. Hopeless that he would get elected and hopeless that if he were to get elected that he would be able to enact the kind of change that he is calling for. People of this country are intoxicated with power and power is always connected with money. I am amazed by the number of Catholics and other religious that find issue with Sander's message when he words echo so clearly the words of the pope and the early Church. His vision was God's vision for the Israelites, which is why I think people feel so threatened. We become so attached to our current state of comfort and sense of security, that we become blinded to the needs of others. We buy into the "bootstrap" mentality and turn our back on the oppressed, justifying our own comfort with a sense of righteousness because we worked hard to earn it and those in need got there through laziness and poor choices. I even hear it in school, teachers justify poor test scores and failing grades with student's laziness and behavior. This of course in the easier than the alternative of looking closely and one's personality choices and role in the situation. It takes work, dedication, and humility to build the kingdom that God envisioned. I think all we can do is keep this images in sight, work for the good of others and forgive ourselves and others when we fall short.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I am late to work this am and all I can say is AMEN! I laugh when I see bill board signs that say "Pray for America". I think 'Can do!' but you (the bill board owner) may be disappointed. Jesus was definitely tempted with comfort, power and greed. Can we model his response in our every day lives?

    ReplyDelete