Readings:
DT 30: 15-20
PS 1: 1-2, 3, 4, and 6
LK: 9: 22-25
There are a couple of things that stuck out to me from these readings. The first was a set of lines from Deuteronomy.
If, however, you turn away your hearts and will not listen,
but are led astray and adore and serve other gods,
I tell you now that you will certainly perish;
you will not have a long life
but are led astray and adore and serve other gods,
I tell you now that you will certainly perish;
you will not have a long life
I find these lines very fitting for the beginning of the lenten journey. I really liked Fr. Lucas' analogy of the GPS or compass for the purpose of lent. It creates an image of God that I find to be very appealing and comforting for me. I have never liked the image of god as puppet master, nor do I believe in a universe in which our future is predestined. But I do find comfort in the idea of a "cosmic pull" or a force that is beckoning us toward the greater good. Lent is a time for us to simplify our lives, remove distractions so that we are more open and able to feel the pull toward the greater good. It is easy to be "led astray" by the distractions of daily life and the comforts of modern living. In one of my Theology classes in college we talked about the idea that it is within our human nature to seek the greater good. We often mistake the pull for the need of material things, or praise or awards We set our sights on a goal and push to achieve it. Often people find that upon achieving their goal their is a feeling of emptiness or disappointment; a "let down" from all the focus and drive and push toward the end point. What we don't realize is that what we are often seeking is the completion of our self or that connection to the greater good. So this lent I hope I can take a step back and focus more on the People of God, on developing relationship, and building community, rather than giving in to the distractions of daily routine, taking the time to listen to the "recalculations" of the route to reconnect with faith and with the pull toward the greater good.
I loved the Ash Wednesday service. I really felt a spirit of unity among the fellow Lenten pilgrims. It is encouraging to be sharing this journey with so many other Christians. In our trialogue with Dennis this morning I wrote that I felt uplifted and energized which is a nice way to begin Lent.
ReplyDeleteNow I'll see if I can save and post. I think when I wrote a reflection earlier today I signed out without publishing. This is a bit shorter as our day is a little crazier with Miss Addy feeding Miss A'ine spaghetti ; ) (which Addy thinks is quite funny!) MF