Thursday, March 10, 2016

The gospel of today is definitely above my pay grade ; )  I went to the reflection to see if it would give me a hint. It was written by the editor of This Day  who very humorously paraphrased the first reading.  It was good and fun, but not really enlightening.

Harriet Tubman was the 'Blessed of the Day.'  She died at the age of 94  on March 10 after freeing 300+ slaves in 19 trips.  It is ironic that she, like Moses led the people to the 'Promised Land.'  It is amazing she was able to free so many in the dead of the night.  She was a strong woman and the beatings she endured as a slave likely gave her an inner strength  of steel to accomplish so much in her life time.

The book of Exodus is a thrilling love story.  God was ready to punish the Israelites for good over the whole molten calf thing.  He had formed Moses as a Leader and Moses had witnessed God's love many times over.   When God seemed as if he had had it, Moses stood up to God and essentially said, "Good Lord!  Not now!  Give them one more chance."  If I had been Moses, and 'God had spoken' to me, I do not know if I would have had the courage to stand up to God and plead for one more chance. I think I would probably have run down the mountain with my hair on fire!

How often do we give up on God and not plead and beg one more time?  I think of those who have left the Catholic Church over the priest scandal, over divorce and Gay Rights.  Maybe God is calling us to plead and to beg one more time, to prove his infinite love.  It really is a dance of love!
MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment