Readings
I can't help but notice that the closer we get to Easter the more cynical the readings become. I think we as humans are born with the nature and desire to do good and believe in the good, but I feel our culture and our world work against that instinct. I had to re-read many parts of the first reading and I found myself feeling sad because it was so hard to the Isrealites to believe that a person as good and as pure as Jesus could exist. When people accomplish something or are successful or happen to be naturally good at something it is often a reaction of others to question the accomplishment or the ability. I think a lot of this arises from feelings of jealous or insecurity but the way in which people act upon these feelings can be so damaging and painful. I also see the cynicism regarding how people talk about Addy and the milestones that she reaches. Some people delight in the joy that I express as I see her grow and develop but so many others make negative and jaded comments.They see her mobility as an end to my freedom. Her talking as an end to my peace and quiet. It just makes me sad. I have one co-worker that goes as far as to say that as she develops she needs me less and less and pretty soon I will wake up and she won't need me, or want me. I just refuse to buy into this line of thinking and I refuse to see her development as a negative for me. When did it become so hard to delight in the miracle of life! Motherhood has definitely been the hardest shift in identity that I have ever encountered, but it has also been such and incredible and amazing journey. I just hope and pray for a world that learns to just in the good of others and believes in the vision that Jesus envisioned. The change has to begin with the individual and it is a daily choice that has to be made, but if the Church as a living body of Christ could commit to this vision and conscientiously make this choice, imagine the hope that could give the world.
Evil NEVER wins (in the end)! Jesus rose from the dead and if we continue to believe in ourselves and in a God who loves us and act in ways that are just, and loving (even when others say things to spite us) we will rise from the dead, too.
ReplyDeleteI like to think the gospel is as much about Jesus' story as it is our own story. Look at the Legacy of his life. How can I live my life today in a way that will impact my legacy when I am gone? Comments along the way and the way we react to them can enhance or weaken our legacy. I think of my dad's comment that going to medical school was a waste of time, I would probably stay home and raise a family anyway. I did: and I think I have been practicing medicine for 20+ years. A HS teacher at NC said that we were crazy to have so many kids; we did and she lamented when she had taught the last one and told us so. The priest who presented our ME Weekend said it was silly to ask us to consider being Team, we were too busy as doctors raising a big family; we are going on 29 years as Team and I have lost track of the number of Teams whom we have helped to form, the Weekends we have presented and the lives of couples whom we have helped to change.
The list could go on and on. . . Our goal in life is to leave a legacy. We can let comments along the way beat us up or we can let them form us. They don't have to harden us, they can make us more gentle, they can inspire us to be all that we are meant to be. I loved each stage of you kids lives from fragile newborns to exploring toddlers, preschoolers who are learning faster than the speed of light, the silly phases, the minor rebellions that helped to form your personalities. Separating and leaving home was hard, but watching you parent and being a grandparent is worth it all! Living your life each day is what your legacy is all about. Believe in yourself, Believe in a God who loves you and let that affect everything you do.
MOM